The C-news around Bu Bu Jing Xin exploded this weekend with the revelation that Director Lee apparently filmed multiple endings for the drama, and due to the leak of the DVD version, the production has stated that the currently airing Hunan TV version, which ends this week, will have a different ending. What tha what?! Okay, if the alterna-drama ending involves tissues and kissing afterwards, I’m all for it. Otherwise I’m still going to be heartbroken. But now I’m totally stalking the TV version to see if Director Lee was just jerking everyone’s chain or the ending will be different.
A few weeks ago, Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Yuan Hong, and Lin Geng Xin recorded segment for a talk show called Back Story (which means the story behind the scenes), with part 1 airing this past weekend. I’ve summarized some of the cutest reveals during the sit down chat, and embedded the interview below. For those of you looking for the official video of Liu Shi Shi singing “A Season of Waiting” and then walking off stage to pull Yuan Hong up to sing with her while holding hands, that scene is at the end of this video. My squeeing pretty much hit new decibel heights.
Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Yuan Hong, and Lin Geng Xin on Back Story:
1. Nicky turned down the role of 4th Prince once, but after reading the entire script he was so moved he accepted a role that required him to shave his head.
2. Nicky thinks that usually it’s princes who switch ladies, this is the first time a girl gets to switch from prince to prince. The host thinks Liu Shi Shi really had it cushy with so many cute guys in love with her. Shi Shi replied that the story was so sad, that was perhaps the only perk.
3. Ling Geng Xin says his personality is close to 14th Prince, direct and emotional. Nicky chastised him for being aligned with 8th Prince, when really 14th Prince is the full brother of 4th Prince. Lin Geng Xin said his character didn’t dare to like Ruo Xi until only after she ended things for good with 8th Prince. He teased that all the princes like twenty-something Ruo Xi, but when she was in her thirties, no one wanted her anymore and then dumped her on him. As the youngest male in the cast, Lin Geng Xin confessed to being the butt of practical jokes, such as falling asleep during filming and waking up to discover someone put a slice of dried mango in his mouth and then everyone whipped out their cellphones to take pictures with him in turn.
4. When Yuan Hong was asked about his 13th Prince’s relationship with Ruo Xi, he explained they are the rarest of rare genuinely platonic male-female relationships. Both he and Liu Shi Shi, who have known each other the longest and worked together on multiple projects (6 and counting), feel like they have achieved that kind of friendship in real life. Hhhhmmm, riiiight. The host decided to bring up their role as the ill-fated famous lovers Yang Kang and Mu Nianci in Legend of the Condor Heroes.
It’s well known that Liu Shi Shi gave her real life first kiss to Yuan Hong, since the first kiss between their characters onscreen happened to be her real life first kiss. She was hoping the Director would film it so they didn’t have to really kiss, but the Director insisted it be real. When she heard that, she burst into tears, so Yuan Hong had to comfort her and calm her down.
Yuan Hong said that if word got out that Yuan Hong, while filming in Heng Dian (it’s the Hollywood of C-dramas), made an actress cry, then he would never be able to live it down and work in this town again. Yuan Hong teased that Shi Shi’s mother normally loves chilling with him. But when it came time to film that scene, he saw through the windows this dark figure watching the entire sequence being filmed, that person being Shi Shi’s mom.
If you want to watch the scene in question, it starts at the 18 minute mark of the video above. It’s hilarious because the video cuts to Nicky’s reaction watching that scene. Ha. 4th Prince would definitely get jealous. The video is actually Yang Kang and Mi Nianci’s first kiss, which was quite chaste, as you can see below.
But in truth, those two majorly made out later in the drama, including one kiss where he grabs her, kisses her and then swings her on a horse in one feel swoop. Which almost caused me to swallow my tongue in shock. Yuan Hong confessed that he was quite nervous during the first kiss, only because he knew how upset Shi Shi was at giving her first kiss onscreen, so the director had to yell at him repeatedly to stop shaking and just kiss her! OMG they are so cute.
5. When asked by the host which actor they consider having the most “guy-like” attitude, Nicky and Yuan Hong both wrote down Shi Shi’s name. Nicky thinks Shi Shi is like a tomboy, with a man’s ability to not be too sensitive about things and be very open and direct. Yuan Hong described Shi Shi as being the hardest working of the bunch, always the first on set and the last to leave, with a can-do attitude that makes him feel she is unafraid of anything.
6. When asked which actor makes each person feel like they have to be anxious and careful around, i.e. each step is fraught with tension, Nicky wrote Shi Shi, telling everyone not to be fooled by her demureness onscreen. Shi Shi discovered that Nicky was really ticklish, so she constantly tickled him, especially once they finished a scene. So he ended up walking around her so his back wouldn’t be facing her. Lin Geng Xin says the person he’s most cowed by is Nicky, as the eldest of the bunch and a former idol famous on the Mainland. Nicky would often improvise scene placements which would leave Lin Geng Xin flustered because he’s more inexperienced as an actor.
7. The third question for the gang is “who has the most motherly love” and everyone picked Nicky! Apparently he constantly took care of the cast and crew on the set, especially since they were filming in the bitter Winter cold. Awwwww.
Part 2 of this interview segment will be aired next week, so I’ll bring a summary of that as well. For now, imma going back to watching my HongShi sing and stare at each other all moony-like. I think it’s ridiculously telling that, with her male lead Nicky present, Shi Shi grabbed her onscreen platonic best friend to join her and sing a song about lovers waiting to be together. I’m still sniveling about 4th Prince and Ruo Xi, so would have also loved a duet between them. That would maybe alleviate 0.01% of my heartache.