Complacency is the insidious foe, like termites you can’t see but it’s slowly eating away at the foundation. If I am the most successful drama screenwriter of all time in South Korea Kim Eun Sook and I just read the article from Chosun News that says the epic failure of The King: Eternal Monarch means it’s time to pass her “God” crown to younger Park Ji Eun after her major hit Crash Landing on You, I would take it like MJ would and use it as the fuel to come back with like THE BEST drama of all time. Sorry, so addicted to The Last Dance and love basketball but watching MJ his prime destroy anyone who even had one good game against him is why he’s untouchable, and Kim Eun Sook needs to do that to also keep her God crown. I’m imaging her in her fancy estate writing room going “K-ent thinks my reign is over, HOLD MY BEER BITCH” and she gets back to basics. I don’t disagree with the great points and analysis made in the Chosun article but I think it’s yet early to move the “God” crown to Park Ji Eun who needs another two more solid hits before I think she’s even in the same level of Kim Eun Sook who churned out exactly a dozen hits before falling so hard with The King.
The Chosun News article by reporter Park So Young lays out the points for why the “God” crown may be time to be moved from Kim Eun Sook to Park Ji Eun:
- Crash Landing on You is a domestic hit from the start – unique story, exciting plot developments, a fantasy romance between a North and South Korean that was well presented.
- CLOY broke tvN ratings, surpassing Mr. Sunshine and Goblin, written by Kim Eun Sook.
- The drama is also an international hit, top of Netflix streaming in multiple regions and is a huge pan-Asia hit like the Hallyu dramas of yore.
- It has a 97% freshness rating in Rotten Tomatoes so popular in the US which is a hard market to crack.
- English media outlets majorly covered it from CNN, AP news, Forbes, and production company Studio Dragon fielded many interviews.
- CLOY surpassed Park Ji Eun’s own hits You From Another Star and Legend of the Blue Sea.
Why The King: Eternal Monarch is Kim Eun Sook’s biggest failure ever:
- High expectations due to her past successes and signing popular Hallyu actor Lee Min Ho.
- The King opened domestically below expectations and ratings continued to decrease.
- Male lead Lee Min Ho’s character The King Lee Gon is not resonating with viewers, the prince charming on a white horse has no substance as written.
- Criticism from media and netizens over excessive PPL (fried chicken, canned coffee, skincare products) which break the viewing immersion of viewers.
- Critique on the difficult to follow story line and awkward directing.
- SBS was expecting The King to be its biggest hit and is coming off well received dramas Stove League, Hyena, Nobody Knows, and Romantic Teacher, Doctor Kim 2, and what was most excited pre-release has become the most disappointing for the network.